Xone Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ¬Ľ Products ¬Ľ Xone:92
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShould I get the rotary or linear 92?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I get the rotary or linear 92?
    Posted: 08†July†2005 at 9:48pm
Hello

I've got a Pioneer DJM-600 and I've decided to upgrade to a Xone:92. Thing is I don't know whether to get the normal linear stlye I'm used to, or go for the rotary stlye? The safe decision is to go for linear, but I've always liked the idea of the rotary stlye mixers for my ssort of mixing (smooth blending). But I've never actually used a rotary mixer....

Which version have you guys got, and why?

Cheers
Matt
djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09†July†2005 at 1:36am
I have the linear and I like it that way, even though I like to primarily mix slowly. Sure you can more slowly bring in the volume with rotaries, but I mix with filters primarily now so its not so much an issue. However there are times when I actually turn down the gain and bring up the channel fader the entire way and slowly bring up the volume with the gain, so even with linear you can kind of have that aspect of it.

Primarily though I think the linear is more flexible because if i want to throw the volume up I can. I believe the rotary costs more, you may want to see what the price difference is between buying the rotary version from the start and buying a rotary kit as an addon. You may decide you don't want the rotary once you actually have the mixer.

If you could I think you should find a rotary mixer to play with, even if its not an A&H just to get an idea. It would suck to get a rotary mixer and then realize you don't like the feel of it.

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09†July†2005 at 3:30pm
Thanks for your reply mate.

When I mix with linear faders I often push the fader to max with the gain and EQ low and then use the gain and EQ rotary knobs to mix with (i.e. control the volume), so like you say this is still possible with the 92, plus it's also got the filters that can be used to mix with.

I'd hate to just buy a rotary and then decide I prefer linear, especially as the rotary costs £150 more!

Think I'll stick with what I know, and what I'm comfortable with, and buy a linear.

Cheers for the advice.

Matt
pickitup13 View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickitup13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10†July†2005 at 1:37pm
linear is the way to go! =)
thejp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10†July†2005 at 8:02pm
huh? rotary kit?

there is such a thing for the 92? (or do you mean order all the parts and a new faceplate and then get soldering?)
pickitup13 View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickitup13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10†July†2005 at 10:14pm
yes there is such a thing for the 92. You can buy the xone 92 with linear faders or rotary volume faders. The rotary faders cost like $250 more though (or somewhere around there. I can't remember exactly how much the price difference is).
djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11†July†2005 at 2:58am
You can definately buy the xone:92 with the rotary option pre-installed. I'm pretty sure you can also buy rotary seperate. At least I had been given a price for it back when I first ordered my mixer. Maybe the dealer was confused. Certainly it would require a different faceplate because of the cutout for the linear faders.

denats View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†July†2005 at 2:42am
That would be cool if you could swap between rotary and fader.

Does anyone know if the rotary has a linear volume curve or is it similar to the fader in that the volume gets significantly louder in the last 20%?
"Won't you have some cake, Father?

It's got cocaine in it. Oh no, hang on, it's not cocaine, is it.

What do I mean now? - the little things... Raisins! "
Andrew View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†July†2005 at 4:22am
This is very interesting if it is indeed true.
djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†July†2005 at 4:27am
The picture is linked from the main allen & heath site.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahimages/hi_res/Xone_92_rotary_si de3_4_hi.jpg

The linear and rotary were released at the same time. Or at least very close to the same time.
Andrew View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†July†2005 at 6:26am
I think we're all aware that there is a rotary version. I'm just interested in a
rotary kit, which I've never seen and have never heard about until this
thread.
djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†July†2005 at 7:38pm
well as I said I was given a price by a dealer around the time I purchased mine, however I've never actually seen one for sale anywhere so I'm not certain about it. Best to contact A&H sales to ask if you're interested.
denats View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13†July†2005 at 1:08am
Originally posted by djarago djarago wrote:

Best to contact A&H sales to ask if you're interested.

Thats what i've just done, i'll post back with what they say.

djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13†July†2005 at 1:52am
regardless as to whether or not an official kit is available, it would certainly be possible to mod your xone if you're comfortable with that sort of thing... actually you could probably mod the linear faders to give you a diff response if you dont like how it ramps up at the end.
denats View Drop Down
Junior
Junior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13†July†2005 at 11:29am
Here's the official anwser.

Originally posted by A&H-Support A&H-Support wrote:

There is no 'rotary kit' for the Xone:92 - it is only available pre-built in either rotary or linear versions. We certainly considered a replaceable sub-panel so that you could swap between the two at the design stage, but this would have put the mixer massively over budget, and would not have been able to meet the price-point that it currently occupies.

Changing to rotaries is technically possible, but not practical. It would require a complete rebuild of the mixer, as the front panel would need to be replaced as well as the rotary faders being purchased. A good
proportion of the mixer assemblies are bolted to the front panel, so this would be a service centre operation.

I hope this is of help. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

djarago View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djarago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13†July†2005 at 7:02pm
If you could deal with the slots for the linear faders and want to unsolder the pot from the board and solder on a new pot it is certainly possible to do the mod yourself. This eliminates the need to change the faceplate.

However I can not recommend that anyone actually do this unless you understand that you can easily completely screw up your mixer in the process and that this would NOT be covered under warranty. Although I'm an electronics junkie who is considering modding my xone:92's midi functionality.

nynemusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nynemusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†July†2005 at 3:14pm
I just bought a Rotary 92 a few days ago. I'm still getting used to the feel of this mixer. Please consider that the Rotaries and Linear Faders react differently. The Rotaries bring in the volume very slowly. At first i thought it was a fault with my mixer and then realised this is just how its supposed to be.

I like using the Rotary a lot more than using Linears anyways. They have more resistance and you cant accidentally push them up or kill them.

Right now i'm debating the idea of modifying the Volume curve of the Rotaries to behave more like Linears for mixing to be a little more dramatic and not so smooth.

I did not have the option ot try the mixer out before i bought it. But i would recommend that if u can then play with the mixer before you buy.

Everything said and done though , its an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit which takes a little getting used to.
Hope this helps.
Skeyelab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeyelab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†July†2005 at 10:31pm
I feel that the decision totally depends on what kind of music you play and how you mix. A scratch DJ, Jungle, Breaks, etc DJ would prefer a Linear Mixer.

Myself, being a house DJ prefer and own the rotary version. I have recently talked the club i play at into purchacing one. They installed it last night. www.spybarchicago.com

Eric
OmnilimbO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OmnilimbO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†September†2005 at 2:12am
Personally, I find the rotary version of the XONE:92 to be the best of both worlds. If I am mixing some proggy-house into psy-trance the nice, smooth rotary action is pure perfection... if i want to cut up some funky breaks I just assign the channels to the crossfader (w/curve set to cut) and start bouncing it back and forth.

If you have never used a rotary style mixer, it will certainly take some time to get acclimated, but it's smooth sailing from then on out.

If you're STRICTLY scratch then go for the linear, otherwise I would seriuosly consider the rotary version.

Skeyelab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeyelab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†September†2005 at 11:57am
I find that i don't do much quick dropping/cutting of tracks, I love my rotary.
But, when i do feel/need to cut/drop, i like to use the crossfader in the same fasion i would a linear fader. Just assign a single channel to the xFade. Works like a charm.

Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic