Xone Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ┬╗ Old / Discontinued Products ┬╗ Xone:2D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSamplerate 48kHz only

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inner Motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samplerate 48kHz only
    Posted: 12áNovemberá2010 at 7:32pm
When using Xone 2D in Ableton Live (Dell Studio laptop running Windows XP), the Samplerate keeps on dropping back to 48kHZ after switching to 96 kHz in the Control Panel.
The same problem occurs in Cubase. The latest audio driver is installed. Also, there are pops in the audio occuring with regularity, even sometimes as Windows is merely starting up. Are any other users experiencing these problems? Some advice would be appreciated.
Inner Motion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inner Motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áNovemberá2010 at 6:43am
I've discovered what's causing the samplerate to freeze up - the digital in/outs. I have a Lexicon PCM81 connected on those outputs. Using the digital out from the PCM 81 slaves the Xone 2D's samplerate to the rate of 48 kHZ. Bypassing the digital in/out and using only the analog out and in to the unit solves the problem. Is this normal behaviour? It would be a pity to lose the digital ins/outs from the Xone.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áNovemberá2010 at 5:44pm
Hi Inner Motion

Quote Using the digital out from the PCM 81 slaves the Xone 2D's samplerate to the rate of 48 kHZ...Is this normal behaviour?

Yes. Connecting an external device via the SPDIF input will lock the Xone to the sample rate set on the external device by design.

The PCM81 only supports 44.1kHz & 48kHz, so if you want to implement the SPDIF input, you'll need to run projects at either of these samplerates.
This shouldn't be a major cause for concern, however, 48kHz is still (on the whole) used as the industry standard for professional audio in broadcast, and 44.1kHz is CD audio quality (which most mixdowns are likely to be mastered to, so integrity of the recorded signal is unlikely to be an issue - unless you're releasing downloads; which would, again, make this, largely, a non-issue.

Booth 2D and Lexicon devices are fixed 24Bit, so audio quality shouldn't be a cause for concern.

I'd suggest an additional stereo input, even restricting settings to 48kHz, is worth more than running at 96kHz samplerate unless there are specific reasons you need/want to run projects at 96kHz?

FYI:
Quote When using Xone 2D in Ableton Live (Dell Studio laptop running Windows XP), the Samplerate keeps on dropping back to 48kHZ after switching to 96 kHz in the Control Panel.

In Ableton Live, use the application's Audio Preferences option to set the project's sample rate (rather than the 2D ASIO/USB Control Panel).

And in Cubase; don't forget to check the Project preferences are set to the same sample rate as the soundcard.

Hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inner Motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áNovemberá2010 at 11:07am
Thank you very much for the response and clarification, AH_Support. It all makes sense now.
Yes, the extra stereo input would be a lot to sacrifice for the sake of 96KzH, although I've been reading some comments on other forums recently that say a higher samplerate generates better sound (particularly at the higher frequencies).
I guess it would make sense to do some A/B comparisons between 48 and 96 and check for any noticeable differences.
Thanks again for the assistance.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áNovemberá2010 at 12:39pm
Hi Inner Motion

Glad it helped, a little more info may be appropriate here too:
Quote a higher samplerate generates better sound (particularly at the higher frequencies)
This is a commonly encountered misunderstanding of what sample rates refer to and/or affect.

Audio sampled at a higher Bit rate, means less quantization errors, so will result in a more accurate digital reproduction of the waveform. This can be described as 'better quality', but the samplerate frequency does not, necessarily, suggest the same thing.

Since audible audio (for us, mortal, humans) doesn't extend beyond the 20Hz-20kHz spectrum, even signals sampled at 44.1kHz exceed the Nyquist-Shannon theorem.

The quality of the majority of professional ADC/DAC interfaces (and certainly in the case of those used in the Xone interfaces) means audio sampled at this frequency is unlikely to be subject to significant artifacts in the signal output, even in the upper frequency bands. I'd suggest the same could more than likely be said for the ADC/DACs Lexicon use.

If you do encounter HF issues though, increasing the samplerate to 48kHz, should be more than sufficient to resolve problems for the vast majority of modern music productions.

It's worth keeping the final application for your recording in mind too;
How much actual content is there (honestly) in the tracks above 18kHz?
What are the recordings intended for; live performance, or commercial release?
Output format should also be considered here; CD/vinyl/download/.wavs played direct from the HD?

Each of these are at least, if not more, significant points to consider for device setup than simply opting for samplerate settings with the highest value.
As previously mentioned, unless you're experiencing particular problems with audio artifacts as a direct result result of sampling at 44.1kHz, or 48kHz, the increased pressure on the host system (in terms of processing resources) when running at very high sample rates may lead to more significant issues elsewhere, than any perceptible benefits to your recordings, of increasing the sample rate setting.

Unless your producing mixtapes for Dogs, Whales, or Dolphins !
; )

Hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inner Motion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áNovemberá2010 at 8:31am
Thank you for the additional info. I use the 2D as a studio tool (as opposed to DJ'ing) which is why I'm focussed on getting the best quality from my set-up. Cerain concepts now are easier to understand and I will be able to make a more informed choice. Much appreciated!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áNovemberá2010 at 10:49am
No problem, glad it was of some use.

I use a Xone:2D for some studio work myself too; as a D2A breakout, from Cubase, for split-channel mixdown in analogue.
I generally work at 44.1kHz and not experienced samplerate related quality issues in the finished mixes when these are played out on a large PA.
I'm sure working at 48kHz, clocking from your Lexicon unit would be fine.

esoQsell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esoQsell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJuneá2014 at 10:35am
About this issue, I do not know, then I have to look!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic