Xone Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Products » Xone:92
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSend & Receive - what's the big deal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Send & Receive - what's the big deal?
    Posted: 06May2014 at 8:10am
From what I can tell the Xone 92's continuing popularity stems from the two extra channels and send/receive capability.

Besides hooking up an external effects unit for delay/reverb/flanger/etc (effects available onboard the DB2/4)-- what else would I use the send signal for?

I understand I can hook in guitar pedals and a range of other units that would affect the signal, but that's all I can think of in terms of using the send signal. Are there other uses?

Appreciate any help on this 92 users.

Thanks.
Darken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23June2014 at 2:43am
From my experience, the only effects I end up using on the db4 are the delays and reverbs which can be found and used easily from programs like ableton, traktor etc.

The send and return channel is not only used for effects as you mentioned, you can also use a K2 on one of the send/return controlling ableton however you want. It's just a lot more versatile to have a send/return. For many reasons, I still feel that the 92 is the better mixer over the db4.
timblaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23June2014 at 3:06am
Thanks for response Darken. As usual I can't post here without being rejected by the spam filter. I agree with you now having owned a DB2.
timblaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23June2014 at 11:33pm
Darken or anyone else: the nice thing with the DB2/4 is that the effects are all synced with the incoming BMP, so you can muck around without too much fear of things going badly wrong.

How do you keep effects in sync with an external effects unit, especially those effects that are tempo dependent (delay and reverb are not tempo dependent as I understand it)?
PhenRoyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhenRoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16July2014 at 10:15pm
Not only because of send/return xone92 IS better than db4. xone92 sounds better and is less problematic I should say. Many things to mention about db4 but not on here. Negative comments about db4 are removed and users banned
timblaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16July2014 at 11:29pm
Thanks PhenRoyer - Is there a good unofficial Xone forum?
Darken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18July2014 at 8:21am
Timblac, sorry for the late response--I've been having too much on the xone92!

There are a few ways you can stay perfectly synced with external effect units. Which effector are you using or wanting to use? Are you using traktor?

I recently got myself the Rmx1000. There are a few ways to sync the rmx1000. 1. When using traktor, create a general midi in the controller manager of traktors preference section, select the input to none and output to 'traktor virtual output', make sure your rmx1000 or your usb midi effector is also created as a general midi device; example: input: rmx1000/output: rmx1000, DO NOT CONFIGURE IT AS SUCH: input: traktor vitrual output/output: rmx1000 or in any other combination with the 2, there must be 2 separate general midi devices--1 for traktor's virtual output (midi clock) and 1 for the effector. Next step is to go to the global section and ensure that midi clock is being sent, set master as the master clock-> hit the send clock button (looks like a play/pause button) and->hit sync on the first beat or a kick drum of 1bar.

2. The rmx1000 has a really accurate bpm algorithm counter. The signal it receives via the SEND/RETURN will accurately display the bpm on the hardware. You still get tighter bpm lock-on using method number 1, and it works flawlessly with a korg kp3+ (had one, sold it for the rmx1000). However, to achieve sync on the kp3, you must set the bpm clock to either EXTERNAL or AUTO on the kp3 hardware, I set mine to auto--this way, if I check the bpm on the kp3 it will blink the word ext, indicating that it is receiving a midi clock signal.

If you have any questions at all or need help with 'noob' questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or ask me for my email through PM and I'll provide with some assistance, large or small :).
Courage is the mastery of fear--not the absence of fear.
timblaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21July2014 at 11:01am
Thanks for response Darken. I don't have an effects unit yet and now that I own the DB2 I doubt I'll get one until I get a mixer with S&R. Your answer has helped me though as I now have an idea of what's involved with syncing and effects unit to Traktor and it does't sound too difficult. DB2 effects are pretty good.
Darken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26July2014 at 5:53pm
I believe the reason behind the DB2 and the DB4 not having a S/R circuity is due to the fact that its already got plenty of on-board effects. I still feel that they should have at least implemented 1 S?R channel to expand, for example--a S/R doesn't always have to be for an external effector, it could also be used for a drum pad like MASCHINE.

Ive now just about completed my setup using all 6 channels on the Xone92 4channels + 2 S/R channels using the ucx external audio interface by rme, Heres a breakdown of how my rig is configured:
-Ive got Traktor decks 1,2,&3 routed & outputting from Ableton, ableton's ins/outs are set to the ucx which are correspondingly wired to the mixer.
-The 4th channel is set to launch clips in ableton (nothing from traktor) to layer bass only loops, drum loops, percussion loops etc on top of whatever I have playing on channels 1,2,3.
-S/R channel 2 of xone92 is set as a drum-rack in ableton, the drum-rack is operated by a MIDI controller with 4x4 or 16pad controller. This channel is also linked to the novation launch control MIDI controller with 16 knobs and a few pads, the novation has 2 rows of nice feelings knobs 8x8. These knobs are mapped to parameters of a MIDI effects rack in ableton which include effects such as the arpeggiator and other various VST plugins from PSPaudio (awesome plugins by the way, amazing delays, echoes, etc. the 608 MultiDelay is an absolute must have).
-Finally the S/R channel 1 is the effects channel. This channel is routed in the typical send and return fashion within abletons send "A" or "B" from ucx back into the return ports of the xone92. I can apply the effects to any of the channels 1-4 of the xone92 by turning the "AUX" located above each channel, clockwise applies and killing the effect when turned counter-clockwise.

While this setup may seem complicated--and it very well might be for some, its actually quite simple once you look at every inputs on the xone92 and outputs of the soundcard as a stereo output. And with this setup, I do not require additional effects hardware offered by various brands.
timblaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timblaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28July2014 at 6:11am
Darken, that does look a complicated setup from where I'm standing. Maybe in a few months it will look less daunting. Thanks for outlining it though.

The 1x S/R on our setup if for effects, so this is the same as DB2/4 except that you have changeable software effects where as I'm locked into what's on the DB and firmware updates, but it's pretty good and I'm starting to use them quite a lot in the mix. They can also be applied to any channel and on the DB2 can also be easily cascaded which is a fairly unique feature. On the delays etc you have a few options on how the effect is added in and also taken out, some like the delays will stay in the mix and fade out if you pull the fader down.

But your other S/R is doing something the DB2/4 can't. If they had a single S/R as you suggest this would be possible. I see their latest 2+2 mixer has a S/R so I'm thinking that we’ll see a S/R added into the next version of the DB2/4 whenever that comes out. Not sure if this could be done with on current models with firmware and the existing ports?

Cheers.
Darken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06August2014 at 2:18am
There's actually a send/return hack or alternative that you can do on the db4. Check out this YouTube tutorial, he's using the rmx1000 effector on the db4.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQ3wFfagTc
Darken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06August2014 at 2:25am
I can't recall if the OP stated he has the db4 or 2, or the 92 lol sorry. Anyways, if you own the db4 or db2 Tim you are definitely not limited only to the effects that are on board. Given the db4 and 2 are usable as a midi unit, you can easily mapp any effects or various effects on the mixer within which ever software you are using. I've tried this when I owned the db4, I used it with traktor and all effects are perfectly synced when parameters are changed etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic